Have A Plan If Fire Strikes Your Business
Before the fire starts
- Know the emergency plan for exiting
- Practice the plan with an annual fire drill
- Located fire extinguishers so they are easily accessed
- Keep exits unblocked
- Unplug small appliances when not being used
When a fire starts be prepared with these tips:
- Know how to use/operate a FireExtinguisher
- Oven/ Microwave Fire- Turn Off and Close Door for small fires
- Grease Fire-Apply Baking Soda or Salt- Do Not Add Water or Flour to the small fire!
- Use a Water Hose or Buckets/Pots Full of Water to Extinguish a small/medium fire
- Call 9-1-1 right away
- Yell "Fire" and get out right away if fire is uncontrollable
- Leave your things, they can be replaced.
- Use Stairs not Elevators
- Exit through Doors, Windows or Fire Escapes right away
- Never open doors that are Warm or Hot to the Touch
- Stay Low if moving through Heavy Smoke and Close the Doors behind you
- If Trapped Stay in the Room with the Door Closed and place a Wet Towel under the Door
- Use a Wet Towel to help breath in Heavy Smoke
- Call 9-1-1 Right Away
It is very important to understand and know when you are not able to control a fire. Whether the fire is small or large know your capabilities and make wise decisions when trying to determine if you can put out a fire without the help of the Fire Department. Time is of the essence when a fire strikes and safety is always a priority.